Monday, March 3, 2008

Couples



1.two of the same sort considered together; pair.
2.two persons considered as joined together, as a married or engaged pair, lovers, or dance partners: They make a handsome couple.
3.any two persons considered together.
4.Mechanics. a pair of equal, parallel forces acting in opposite directions and tending to produce rotation.
5.Also called couple-close. Carpentry. a pair of rafters connected by a tie beam or collar beam.
6.a leash for holding two hounds together.
7.Fox Hunting. two hounds: 25 hounds or 121/2 couple.
–verb (used with object)
8.to fasten, link, or associate together in a pair or pairs.
9.to join; connect.
10.to unite in marriage or in sexual union.

Lately, I have been noticing that the people we hang around with, correspond with, and generally admire are some of the neatest couples. We have some new blog friends (Travis and Camille) that reminded me of when we got married (15 years this year, dear - I won't forget our anniversary) and what a cool thing it is. Marriage isn't the easiest thing, but it is the greatest. A recent re-acquaintance of mine who is in his 50's and still single said it best while kayaking and talking about our wives "letting" us go and kayak now and then. He said "any relationship, even a somewhat restrictive one, is way better than being alone." Very true words indeed. So, to our friends, Benoits, Hickmans, Halversons, Cains, Wibergs, Rawlins, Robinsons, and so many others,to the couples who are making it, and making the world better together than they could on their own....thank you! You inspire me, and make me smile about all that's good about being together. And Shelli, thanks for being there through EVERYTHING! Home is where my heart is, even though my hobbies may take me far from there at times. p.s. wanna play some tennis while you still have the flu? Maybe I could win this time?

9 comments:

Kim said...

Well said Trevor. What an honor to be recognized in your list. Thanks. You and Shelley aren't too shabby yourselves!!!!!!!

Kim said...

I forgot to say that we've only been around you a guys a couple of times and I just LOVE ya!!!!! I think I can read people pretty well and I felt how genuine and good you are and that you love each other very much. I don't know how many couples out there give marriage a good name but I'm happy to say you're one of them!!!

Trev said...

thanks Kim. I feel the same about you two. It's great to see you interact, and to see you dedicate things to each other on your blog. We have such a good time around you guys, too.

Melanie Cain said...

I liked your post Trev. Are you sure we are good enough to be on your list? I think the way to have a good marriage is to start out in a dumpy trailer,house or apartment. Every good couple I know did that right? Throw in some cockroaches and you add at least another 5 years on. If you can live together through that you can face anything! :) ha ha

Shelli said...

Ha ha, we get 5 for the cockroaches!! We do have some awesome friends. What would this world be like without loved ones? I'm glad I've got you, T. So, so glad.

Trev said...

A trailer will add 10 years to your marriage, a basement apartment with onl 2 windows and the front door in the master bedroom will add 9, cockroaches 5, riding bikes to get groceries b/c you have no car adds a couple. But a temple marriage makes it forever! Thanks for the comments!

Jeff said...

Any bike ride together adds more than a couple years. After all that is what I have been banking on.

Krista said...

Great post, Trev...love the couple definitions. Its true...you start out at the bottom, the only way to go is up! Forever and ever!

Leslie said...

Hey Trevor, Ira and I really enjoy you and Shelli too, and your cute little family. In fact lately I've been telling Ira that I'm glad he has your for a close friend because you are a great guy in all the ways that matter most.