Sunday, December 23, 2007

Daddy-daughter disaster day averted


My brother and I decided to climb Rattlesnake mountain yesterday. Short on time, we opted to mountain bike it. Rachel said she wanted to go. I tried to explain to her what she would need to take (it was cold, yet we'd be exerting lots of effort - generating heat) and she was starting to show her teenage know-it-all attitude. We managed to get to the car without choking each other, and drove to the mountain. We started to ride, but I was definitely not cool by telling her "how to ride a bike". We got about 1.5 miles up on the moderate grade, stopping every 50' or so because she'd fall off, get tired, get weeds in her derailleur, etc... Starting uphill is a technique as well. One she didn't want to know about and wouldn't listen. I felt like such a "parent" on this trip. We spent way too much time arguing while Darren waited up ahead. Headstrong and wrong don't mix well together. We opted for plan B, biked down the hill to the Yakima river and followed it for a while. We ended up having fun as long as we weren't trying to climb anything. All worked out well. Rachel's butt is so sore after the ride, but that's how it goes for the first ride in a long time. The day was good, but not without it's glitches! This picture of Darren and Rachel says it all!

6 comments:

Shelli said...

It's so fun having a teenager in the house, isn't it? At least we have each other to help get us through!!
You're a GREAT dad!

Krista said...

Haha, I know that feeling! Never have I felt so right, so often, but have been treated like I was so, SO wrong!

Melanie Cain said...

Hey.... that story sounds familiar, maybe a little like CHRIS & MEL!

Braeden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Braeden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sant Family said...

Hey Trevor,

If your Rachel is anything like our Rachel the expression on her face will be the same when you teach her to drive.

When our Rachel SAILED through a stop sign and I said something to her about it, she said, "well, sorry I missed it, I wasn't paying attention. I was talking to you!" Then she was mad when I laughed...

Teenagers ... such a delight to have someone who knows everything in your house :).

~Tifani~