Sunday, June 8, 2008

Rachel's poem. Remembering those teenage blues.


Here is a poem Rachel wrote for school. I corrected a couple of minor things, but here it is and the picture she drew with it. It reminded me of how lonely the teenage years can be. How much those kids rely on others to make them feel accepted and "normal".

Sometimes I'm a shadow, sometimes I'm not.
My friends are here, but not a lot.
I feel kind of lonely, I do wear black.
I am a shadow, not very in tact.
I have lots of friends, but I don't always feel
like they're there, that they're not real.
I don't know why I feel this way.
I just do, that's all I'll say.
Not everyone's nice, life can be hard.
Sometimes my friends will leave me scarred.
I can be a shadow, I can be a light.
Depends on how I feel; sometimes uptight.
In this world, you're not always noticed,
it can't be helped. Not everyone cares.
The world is harsh, and I've been taught
sometimes I'm a shadow, and sometimes I'm not.

She's such a good girl, and it's hard for me to see her brooding one day, and happy the next. Fortunately she doesn't survive on her friends always being there. She's a little more independent and I hope it serves her well. I love her very much!

5 comments:

Shelli said...

Nice to see you're back! I love that girl too, she's one of a kind. Thanks for being such an amazing dad to her and the others!

Patricia said...

I sure wish I lived closer so I could have been part of your kids' growing up. But I can experience a little bit through your and Shelli's blogs.

GLad that Rachel can write - her poem brings back memories of all those intense, changing feelings. Tell her to keep writing - and not to burn them as I did because I was too insecure to share them.
Love to all,
aunt Pat

Gramma Spice said...

Tell that teen angel of yours that she is a bright light for all who know her or who are lucky enough to be her friend. It takes time to learn that the happiness of being there for others can fill that hole of loneliness that all of us experience from time to time...she's ahead of the rest in that area. Rachel is precious and SO TALENTED... thoughtful and loving. Being a teenager is never easy.

Craig D. Anglesey said...

WE LOVE YOU RACHEL!!! Oh, and you too Trev. Love the picture she drew and that poem was amazing and full of feeling. Keep writing like that and you'll have a book to sell in no time!

Jessica said...

Rachel is extremely talented. I can see her poem as a song on my radio.